Saturday, April 4, 2015

Friendship-a journey to happiness and fun

"A true friend knows your weaknesses, but shows you your strengths." Unknown

This week, and month really, has shown me the importance of good friends. I have many good friends, and a few great friends, but I have 2 truly best friends who always have my back. One of them has been my friend for years, the other one since October. This post is about these 2 women who have shaped my life forever. 

The first one is Katie Daugherty. When I can home from my mission, I found out the greatest news a best friend can find out: she is getting married! She has asked me to be her maid of honor! I could not have been more thrilled to share this experience with her. My first day back, she immediately skyped me and we began catching up after not seeing each other for a year, and only corresponding through letters. It's amazing to me how easy it is to pick up where you and your friend left off, no matter how long it has been, if both of them still have respect and love for each other. I love her and I am so thankful for her support in my decisions, in my mission, and in my life. She always knew when I needed a picture or a letter of encouragement. She has changed my life for good. 

The next friend is someone that I didn't expect. Before my mission, I knew that  would meet many people that would influence my life and my testimony in Jesus Christ. And I made so many friends in the California Irvine Mission. There was one friend, however, that completely changed my life and left a mark too big to ever forget. Her name was sister Megan Gillins. She was my companion from October 28 until the end of my mission on March 4. We were together for 18 weeks, and in those weeks, we laughed, we cried, we sang, we taught, we testified, and we grew closer as sisters in the work of the Lord. The funny thing about the beginning of our friendship is that we had preconceived notions about each other that were not in the best light. We were worried at the beginning of our companionship that we would even get along, let alone work well together. But after the first day, we broke the ice over something stupid and instantly became friends. That something was Star Wars. She said she loved Star Wars, but no one ever expected it from her. The conversation that ensued, went like this:
Megan: "I want people to look at me and say,'there's someone who loves Star Wars!"
Kayla: "Then you should probably have more acne, less color in your skin, and a crazier look in your eye."

At that moment, we both realized that we had the same sense of humor, and the rest is history. 

Today marks 1 month since leaving my best friend, and only talking to her through email. It's hard, but it makes our time to talk that much sweeter. I cannot wait till I can see her again. 

Sometimes, people come into your life that you don't know will impact your life. If you are open to all people and allow them to get to know at least a little part of you, you may just find that your best friend is amongst those you meet. I heard a saying once that friends are the family you choose, but I believe that God puts you in the path of each other because he knows what you need to learn and what they need to learn. His plan is better, and so much sweeter than  we could ever hope it would be. 

So, hold dearly to the friends you have, who love and respect you the same way that you love and respect them. And allow friends into your life that you may not expect to come in. They can surprise you and change you "for good." (Name that song reference). 

With love,
The friend

No comments:

Post a Comment